Thursday, February 19, 2009

Next two squares

So, I know what blocks the next two people have picked for the 200 Crochet Blocks crochet-along on Craftster.org so I thought I'd get a head start and make them. My Sunshine Lace block was exactly 6" with a 4.5mm hook so I thought I'd use that size again for the "Willow" block (which is the first picture below).

Well... That pattern has 9 rounds. On the first block, I stopped because I thought it looked too big--and it is; it's 6.5" square after round 7. So, I dropped down to a 4mm hook and tried again. Once again, I stopped after round 7; it's exactly 6". It's supposed to have two other rounds, but oh, well... I think it looks just fine without them. (It's hard to see in the picture, but the top square IS bigger than the bottom square).


Next is "Traditional Granny." I stuck with a 4mm hook for this one, too, and guess what? I had to stop a round short on this one, too, because it was at exactly 6" already.

Maybe the yarn I'm using is thicker than what she recommends...? I just don't know. I don't understand why the Sunshine Lace square would be 6" exactly, and I'm using the same yarn and a smaller hook and my other blocks are STILL TOO BIG (and it's not like I'm crocheting too loosely because I crochet so tightly I sometimes can't even pull the loops through)!!! AAAhhhhh!!! Explain that to me!??? Ha! Ha! I'll just have to keep measuring the blocks and stop with they're 6". I don't think that's a big deal at all.

No comments: