Thursday, February 12, 2009

Beyond the Square Crochet Motifs by Edie Eckman: a review

I forgot to write that the other day, Edie Eckman, author of Beyond the Square Crochet Motifs found my blog and wrote a comment that she hoped I liked her book! How cool is that?!

The book got here a couple of weeks ago, and I love it! First thing I love is the spiral binding. This is especially helpful since both hands will be busy (attempting crochet) and I can't hold the book open. Second of all, I really liked the tips and tricks in the introduction pages. There are sections on sizing and gauge, how to follow instructions, reading charts, making starting loops, beginning and ending rounds, and "tidy joins"--all stuff that a more advanced crocheter would skip through, but that a beginner like me appreciates.

Next up are the motifs. I have to admit that I haven't made a single one of them, yet, but I've repeatedly flipped through the pages and oooohhhh'd and aaaahhhh'd over each them. I can't wait to try out a few. I really like that there's written directions and then an accompanying chart. I'm still learning how to read charts, but I like that I can look at the chart if I don't understand the written directions, and can usually figure out what I'm supposed to do.

Overall, this is a great little book, and I'm glad I bought it!

No comments: