Friday, February 20, 2009

200 Crochet Blocks Question...

Hmmm... When I started making the 6" blocks in the 200 Crochet Blocks book by Jan Eaton, I had no idea what size hook to use to get the patterns to come out to 6" so I scoured the book, and found a hook recommendation for the projects that are shown in the very beginning pages. BUT... it says to use a "Crochet hook size F (4mm)" and I can't figure that part out. According to my little chart and the metal hooks and the plastic hooks I have, it says that 4mm is a G and an F is 3.75. I would think that that's a typo, but the same thing is listed on 11 projects.

So... my question is: do I use an F hook or a G hook to get 6"? I'm so new at this I need explicit help! I've tried both 4mm and 4.5mm hooks and one came out at 6" with all the rounds; one came out at 6" minus one round; one came out 6" minus two rounds; and one came out 6.5" minus two rounds. I'm trying an F/3.75mm hook now (on the Lacy Cross square). On one hand I hope that works, but on the other hand, it's a blunt-tipped metal hook that I don't like so I hope it's too small! Hmmm... I wonder if I have a 3.75 plastic hook that has a sharper point? I'll have to check.

No comments: