Thursday, February 19, 2009

Craftster March 2008 Cygnus Square

I can't believe it, but it looks like I haven't written about the 12" Cygnus square I made the other day! I was soooooo disappointed in this one when I finished with Round 12 because it was SUPPOSED to be finished and 12". Well, mine was only 9"!! HA! HA! I used the recommended hook size, but I wonder what weight yarn I was supposed to use??? (Like I understand enough about yarn weights anyway--and besides, I want to use the yarn colors I've picked out so it doesn't matter what weight yarn was suggested). Anyway, I had to add an extra row of TC and one of SC to get it to come out to 12"


This pattern is from the March 2008 Craftster CAL, and is a Chris Simon pattern called Cygnus (which is a male swan and a constellation).


Here are the lyrics to a Rush song (my brother LOVES Rush, and he's the one who wrote all of this out for me:)

Rush, "Cygnus X-1 book II Hemispheres"

In the constellation of Cygnus there lurks a mysterious and invisible force - The Black hole of Cygnus X-1. Six stars of the the Northern cross, in mourning of their sister's loss. In a final flash of glory, nevermore to grace the night.

Invisible to telescopic eye
Infinity, the star that would not die
All that dare to cross her course
Are swallowed by a fearsome force
Through the void to be destroyed
Or is there something more?
Atomized at the core
Or through the astral door - to soar

I set a course just East of Lyra
Northwest of Pegasus
Flew into the light of Deneb
Sailed across the Milkyway
On my ship the Rocinante
Wheeling through the galaxies
Headed for the heart of Cygnus
Head long into mystery

The Xray is her siren song
My ship cannot resist her long
Nearer to my deadly goal
Until the black hole gains control

Spinning whirling still descending like a spiral sea unending
Sound and fury drown my heart - every nerve is torn apart

I have memory and awareness
But I have no shape or form
As a disembodied spirit
I am dead and yet unborn
I have passed into Olympus
As was told in tales of old
To the city of Immortals
Marble white and purest gold

I see the Gods in battle range on high
Thunderbolts across the sky
I cannot move I cannot hide
I feel a silent scream begin inside -----

No comments: