Monday, February 23, 2009

New Frames!

I happily took myself to Michael's first thing this morning to see what kind of frames they had on sale this week, and I left with 5.

Before I left home, I measured what I had:
2 8x10
2 8.5 x 11
2 11 x 14
1 4.25 x 5.75
1 3.75 x 4.75

My two 5x7 caricatures were already matted to 8x10 so frames for those were easy enough to find.

Next, I checked out 11x14" frames, and got a funny feeling... I hadn't REALLY measured those ones, I just thought I remembered them being 11x14, but when I saw that size, I didn't think it was right. Then I happened on 11x17, and thought THAT looked like the right size... So, I threw two of those in the cart thinking I could take them back if they weren't right.

The two 8.5 x 11 ones aren't standard frame sizes. I picked up an 11x14 frame with an 8x10 mat, and I'm going to see if that will work for either of them. It's a cream mat, though, and I think maybe I should have bought a black mat instead. I *know* they'll both fit in 11x14" frames, but if I have to have custom-cut mats I AM going to buy myself that mat cutter and do it myself since I'm going to have to have custom mats cut for the note card and for the tobacco trading card anyway (I'm trying to justify the cost...).

So, anyway, I got home, and tried out my frames. I'm SOOOO glad I talked myself out of the 11x14 frames for the two mini posters because, sure enough, they were 11x17. One is the Igs playing poker from BGR's office (one of those dogs looks just like his dear Annie). The other mini poster is a geisha girl print with Iggy Pop's head. TOO FUNNY! I have no idea what will do with that one (a bathroom, maybe?). But the frames look really nice, and I'm glad I bought them.

The frames for the 8x10-matted watercolor caricatures are just plain black wooden frames, but they look so nice!

I still haven't tried the 11x14 frame on one of the 8.5x11 prints, but I'll do that this afternoon and see if that will work or not? I'm just not sure. I'm afraid that opening size will cut off the signatures.

Oh, fun, fun, fun!

No comments: