Monday, February 9, 2009

Newest Crochet Books! (YES! MORE BOOKS!)

Okay... yes, I ordered more books, but this is nothing new--I do this every time I have a new obsession. Anyway, three of them got here today:

101 Stitches to Crochet (a card deck by Interweave Press, edited by Erika Knight)
The Complete Book of Crochet Stitch Designs (Linda P. Schapper)
Crochet in No Time (Melody Griffiths)

The card deck is absolutely fabulous. Of course, I love anything by Interweave Press. The set includes a card for each of 62 basic crochet stitches and 39 crochet motifs. The front of the card is a big, very clear picture of what the stitch fabric looks like and then the back of the card has the written pattern and a very clearly drawn diagram. The cards are numbered so they're easy to keep in order--which is nice because there's another card that has a list of all of the stitches and the corresponding card number. Very neat little set. I'm glad I bought it.

The Complete Book of Crochet Stitch Designs: 500 Classic & Original Patterns, Revised Edition is a hard-back book that's about 2.5" thick! Wow! This is a hefty tome of crochet stitches. The inside jacket says the book was first published twenty years ago, and unfortunately, the photos LOOK that old--they really date the book. I guess I'm comparing the book pictures to the beautiful card deck I just bought, and there is no comparison (the card deck is soooooo much better). That said, though, there are 5 times as many stitches in the book as there are in the card deck, and I think the book will be a wonderful reference.

And, last: Crochet in No Time by Melody Griffiths! I bought this book because I also have her other book: 201 Crochet Motifs which is my FAVORITE of all the crochet books I've bought so far. This second book has some BEAUTIFUL crochet pieces in it. I like that each project tells how long it takes to make it. One tank top says it takes 12 hours (which would probably mean about twice as long for me!).

No comments: