Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The New Vista Computer

Oh, YAY! I finally got the Vista computer out of its box on Sunday and fired it up. It took me about an hour to unplug everything on the old computer, get that one cleaned up (HOW do they get so dirty back there?) and get the new one plugged in.

Problems: the Vista computer only has 4 USB ports in the back of it (not enough); the Dimension computer had 6, and I used every one of them--but the funny thing is the only thing I KNOW that I've plugged into a USB port is the wireless mouse/tablet... I wonder what else? Also, there is no parallel port for the printer cable to plug in to; and there is no PS/2 port for the wireless keyboard I have.

We went to Office Depot for the cable, PS/2 adapter and a USB hub, but the printer cable was $34.99, the hub was $9.99 and they didn't even have the converter I needed. Since I was going to have to order that online, I just decided to order the rest of it, too. I got everything I needed for $50, and that included shipping. I'm having to use the flat/straight cheapie USB keyboard that came with the computer, but it's usable so that's okay.

Now I just have to install all of our software and move "My Documents" from the 16GB flash drive to the new computer, and we should be all set.

No comments: