Friday, May 8, 2009

New Dell Inspiron computer is on the way...

So yesterday I broke down and bought a new PC because this one that I'm working with now keeps blowing up with the dreaded blue screen. I've tried all of the fixes Microsoft suggests, and none of them has fixed my problem. And, despite keeping the computer cleaned up and defragged and up-to-date with SpyBot and Norton Anti-Virus, it just keeps getting slower and slower and slower. And, it locks up all the time. Sadly, it's just reached it's expiration date--afterall, it is 4 years old, and isn't that about as long as a computer seems to last?

Anway, what I'd like to do is take this computer to Geek Squad and see if they can fix it for me and then I can put this computer in the garage to run the laser with, and I can take the garage computer and have Geek Squad clean it off so I can donate it to a school or church (or to my older brother).

So, back to the computer buying part: I bought a Dell, and it comes with Microsoft Vista. After I made the purchase, they sent me an e-mail confirming all of the specs I ordered, and guess what it says: "While a 64-bit operating system allows your system to contain more memory and run faster, it may not be compatible with older software programs and accessories. To learn more or check if your software programs are compatible click here." Nice (I mean crap)... I did not know this...

Thankfully, Quickbooks Pro2008 is compatible, but Dreamweaver 8 and CorelDraw 12 aren't. I don't know about EQ6 or Polaroid My Memories, and I don't remember what other types of software I have to load? I HAVE TO HAVE CorelDraw no matter what because that's what I use to run the laser. So, today, I had to spend $180 on the upgrade to X4. I contacted tech support (via chat) and the guy let me know I can go directly from 12 to X4 without having to go through X3 (thank goodness!).

I also contacted the YMCA to let them know Dreamweaver 8 isn't going to work anymore and I'm going to be stuck until July when they can order me that new software suite I want. The EO is going to contact TechSoup and see if they'll waive the limit considering my computer blew up. I wonder what they'll say??? I guess it doesn't hurt to ask.

All of this means, too, that none of the how-to books for PSCS2 and Dreamweaver 8 that I've ordered will be any good considering I'm having to upgrade and get new stuff--I'll need newer books now for sure. And so I'm also thankful that I've only bought used books and didn't spend that much on them.

I told the EO that I can still read the older books and while I won't have hands-on training at least I'll know what I'm doing in theory.

No comments: