Monday, May 11, 2009

Bailey 828 at Camp Wolfgang

Chris had to put Boo Boo to sleep last week, and now he's "in the market for" a dog. There's a dog he heard about (an 8-month-old Border Collie) that he's waiting for a return phone call about, but... YOU KNOW how good I am at dog shopping, right!? So I couldn't resist rooting around Petfinder.com until I found some good leads.

This is totally my personal opinion, but Chris, you don't NEED a puppy--they're too high energy and they have a tendency to chew things up until their adult teeth come in. So... I eliminated puppies from my search. I also seached for medium-sized builds and I searched specifically for "housebroken" in their descriptions. I only found a handful.

One of the ones I found is a SPECTACULAR black German shepherd named Bailey. Bailey's description didn't say she was houstrained, but she was listed as special needs (and I'm such a sucker, I had to see why--it's because she only has 3 legs). She is BEAUTIFUL, and I couldn't resist not showing him the picture of her.

Anyway, Chris, made contact over the weekend with two of the dogs that I'd e-mailed to him. Bailey's contact called him back this morning, and directed him to Camp Wolfgang in Ennis, TX. He was out doing some running around and asked if I'd call to find out the status of her so I did. She's been there for 4-1/2 years. She's considered undesirable #1 because she's black and #2 because she only has 3 legs. Can you imagine? That is EXACTLY what makes her priceless in my book!

Bailey does really well with calm kids and loves to be brushed and have her belly rubbed, BUT... she is a dominate female so she probably won't get along with Penny, the local alpha female. So that won't work. She's also depressed and needs to be exercised to help her lose weight (which he can't do).

I called Chris back, and he asked me if she was housebroken, and I'd forgotten to ask so he called back. He's very disappointed, but is convinced Bailey and Penny won't get along with each other so that won't work. However, the lady told him of another dog, Tyson, who IS housebroken and does well with all other dogs. Chris asked me to call her back again and get e-mailed pictures of Tyson. So, I called back, and she told me there were two other dogs she thought of that might work for him: Harriet and LaCoda. LaCoda is only 2 and is very hyperactive so he may not work out since Chris just had knee surgery, but she'll show him all three dogs (Tyson, Harriet and Lacoda) when he comes out for a visit on Wednedsay.

The application free is $300. Can you believe that? For a FULL BLOODED GERMAN SHEPHERD DOG! The Human Society wants $250 for the dogs they're adopting. I'm not knocking that at all because everyone knows I think animal rescue is a very worthy cause; I just can't believe you can get a pure-bred dog for as little as a mutt dog..

No comments: