Wednesday, May 13, 2009

"Movin' Carlo"

That was the title of the e-mail I got from the IG Rescue Rep this morning ("Movin' Carlo"). Looks like he's coming to stay with us for a little while (at least I HOPE IT'S ONLY FOR A LITTLE WHILE!). Shesh! I need another dog like I need a hole in my left temple.

I'm totally not sure what's up with his other foster mom. She flipped out when he had a bad seizure and then didn't want him and then changed her mind and DID want him and now she doesn't want him again. However, the Rescue Rep told me last month they (the foster family) thought he was only going to be a short term foster because there was a home that wanted him. Well, the home that wanted him just wanted a special needs dog in general (not just him, specifically), and there were three dogs for them to choose from.

BUT... that whole situation turned sour because the person who was supposed to do the home visit drug her feet so long that the family got a cat instead, and said "screw IG Rescue." I don't know exactly what happened in that situation, but it's very hard not to be judgemental. Finding a family who is open to a special needs dog probably doesn't happen very often, and that was truly a missed opportunity.

Anyway, Carlo (who was Truman for NINE YEARS--I can't believe they changed his name!) is having a seizure a week despite being on phenobarbitol. He may need to be put on potassium bromide, too. I guess we'll have to see when he gets here. I hate to do that if he doesn't need it because it's expensive and has to be compounded and that will just make him that much more undersirable to alot of people. At least phenobarbitol is cheap (I think).

The Rescue Rep told me that she doesn't even have him listed yet because she was pretty sure he was in the bag with that adopting family. That means I get to write up a little blurb about his personality and get some pictures to post for petfinder.com. I'm pretty good at that. I've already got a good idea about what some of it should say, but I'll have to meet him and find out what his personality is like before I actually sit down and type anything out. She said that sometimes, the harder luck the case, the more adopters actually come crawling out of the woodwork. Let's just hope and pray that is that the case with him!

No comments: