Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Newest Card Party! (Plus Christmas Cards)

Had dinner Saturday night with "the gang." I'm so excited: the ladies scheduled another card party! They initially decided that 10 cards was too many to do so they wanted to do 8 instead. I took 25 cards over, and they decided that each of them would select 2 cards from the 25 and those would be the ones we'd make. Well... Judy selected 4 cards and then couldn't pick which 2 of those she wanted to make. So, she said, "I'm inviting somebody so I'll just pick her two cards for her!" So, we're back up to 10 cards instead of 8.

The good news is they chose some cards that are VERY simple to make: just glue the element to the card, and it's finished. I can intersperse those types of cards with the more difficult cards #1. to keep their interest and #2. so they don't get frustrated.

I'm glad they got to pick the cards they wanted to do. If it had been up to me, I would have chosen cards that didn't suit their needs (like wedding and baby cards because they're CUTE cards). However, they mostly chose thank you and blank cards instead because at this stage in our lives everybody's married already and has grown kids. I am mostly surprised they didn't choose the "cheers!" card. I know Laura liked it, but that's not one she chose for her selection.

Card parties work like this: I bring all the stuff and people show up. The end. And it's FUN! It's just like a Tupperware party or Pampered Chef party or whatnot: drinks and snacks beforehand while people show up and the party afterwards.

The stuff I bring: a plastic table cloth to cover the table, glue sticks and white glue for everybody plus all of the cardstock cards, laser-cut elements, glitter, rhinestones, charms, beads and ribbon to make 10 cards each for however many people will be there. I made a cute display centerpiece for the sample cards; it's a flower pot filled with wooden skewers that I glued alligator clips on the ends of. The cards are then clipped to the alligator clips.

Also... I intended to have Christmas cards to show everybody--hoping to get a couple of orders for those. I'm SOOOOO glad I didn't get around to making them. This way I "booked" a card party of all occasion cards, AND I'll get a chance to sell some Christmas cards as well. I'm afraid if I'd had the Christmas cards available, they would have opted to just make those instead, and this way I can have both. Now that was smart, but only in hindsight!

So far, I've made 6 Christmas cards, but I'm only pleased with 2 of them. I'm running them through the printer to print things on them. I have two "Merry Christmas" ones (the two I'm happy with) and one "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" (I don't like the latter one). The others that I'm not happy with are blank. One of those is a row of 5 or 6 different snowflakes that span the width of a winter blue-colored wide card. The centers each have rhinestones in the middle. That card will be more expensive to account for all those rhinestones. It's only an okay card.

Today, I'm working on an engraved cork Christmas tree. I'll put that on a kraft cardstock base and see how I like that... I'm just not sure about that, but it's worth a try.

And, I want to try a white reindeer. The problem with that is that it needs glitter and I don't know how to sell glitter if somebody wants to buy that particular design. I guess I can have a list of consumable items people can buy (like a tube of glitter for $3 or $4--I'm not sure how much a tube of glitter is...???). Other consumable items: dispensers of dry adhesive and tape runners. I just calculated those, and they cost me $2.50 each plus tax. So I could sell them for that amount or $.50 more to cover the tax.

Also... (back to designs): I also have some QuicKutz Christmas shapes I can cut out. I think there's a mitten and a jingle bell. I think there's also a Santa head and maybe a stocking. And if there's not a stocking then I need to find a clipart I can laser cut because that would be a good one to cut out of patterned paper.

No comments: