Thursday, October 30, 2008

City Girl Quilt

I started work on the City Girl quilt from the block swap on Craftster.org. That was a fun swap! However, I doubt I'll do another one... I'm too picky about my blocks. I don't like shoddy workmanship, and there are several that are just flat out crappy. I'm not bragging, but I did some really nice work: no loose threads, the backs look as good as the fronts, and they were all 12.5" or just a SMIDGEN off as required in the swap.


Well, I tried to square up my blocks this morning, and found one that was 13," 3 that are just the tiniest bit over 12-1/8," one that is just a tad over 12" in one place (it's a 9-patch, and the top and bottom rows are 12-1/2," but the middle row is only 12!"), and one entire block that is only 12." I trimmed down the 13" block and lost all the points in the process--at least it's workable. The 12-1/8" blocks are do-able but with very, very shallow seams. I did some creative meandering sewing on the one that's a little over 12." The 12" block is completely unusable. I guess I'll try to put it on the back of the quilt.


At this point, I have all of the blocks sewn into rows. Now I need to iron the seams and sew the rows together! It's looking awesome so far.


I have my fingers crossed that my SewConnected group will make better blocks for me.

The empty place holder in the photo is for MissDisney's block. She was late sending it out, and I was too anxious to wait on her before putting together a virtual quilt in EQ6. The fourth one on the second row is the 12" block that will have to go on the back, and that's such a shame because I really, really like that block!

No comments: