Thursday, April 2, 2009

Truman

I got an e-mail yesterday with the subject: Be Careful What You Say, Some Darn Rescue Rep May Remember...

Alice was MIA for several days last month, and I was worried I'd made her mad. When she finally got back to me, she let me know she'd been trying to find a foster home for a seizure dog. I told her that we were a seizure-savvy home, and if she ever had another seizure dog to place in foster care that she should consider us.

Well... the foster home for that dog isn't working out. He's had two seizures (one grand mal) since he's been in foster care, and his foster mom completely freaked out. Plus, they're in the middle of moving so she can't handle the stress of a move plus a seizure dog. So Alice contacted me to see if we can take him.

The good news is that there may be a family that wants him, and they're going through a home visit check-up now. I can only hope and pray that home will take him because there are a couple of issues with him besides the seizures: he's 9 years old and he's a boy. And who wants a 9-year-old, male, seizure dog? He's going to be a tough one to place. Which means he will probably be with us for a long time (and I'll get attached and we'll end up keeping him, dammit!).

But... I said, yes, we'd take him. And asked her how we can get him? Brian's all excited about ME taking care of another one.

I have to wait and see how the home visit turned out with the people who potentially want him.

I told Alice if he comes to us, I'll take some really good pictures and write a résumé for him like we did with Eika.

Oh, yeah: His foster parents changed his name from Truman to Carlo. We'll be calling him Truman--his name for the last nine years! Why in the heck would they change it on him?

Oh yeah #2: he's not on seizure medication, but the first thing I'll do if he comes to us is have him put on phenobarbitol or potassium bromide.

No comments: