Thursday, November 6, 2008

New Quilt Kit

Yesterday, I stopped by Joann's to pick up a package of rhinestones for the card party this weekend. I checked out the on-sale fabric (30% off), and found some REALLY NICE M'Liss and Heidi Grace fabrics! I have an extra 10%-off-my-total-purchase coupon that I can use next week so I thought I'd wait until then to buy more fabric (that'll give me time to decide on a pattern, too, so I'm not just buying random cuts of fabric!).

While I was there, I also found the cutest quilt kit called "Urban Windowpanes." It is a very, very simple pattern, but I loved the fabrics so I bought it (like I need another project!). The kit included 7, 1/2-yard cuts of fabric. The directions specifically say NOT to wash the fabrics before starting, however I ALWAYS wash my fabrics first so I did. I wish I'd measured them before I washed them because, instead of being 18" wide, they were only 17.25"! I can't imagine they shrank up THAT MUCH (and if they did, then I'm super glad I washed them first because I wouldn't want the finished quilt to shrink up that much after I sewed it all together!). And, the package even brags of being "quality fabric." I can't believe quality fabric would shrink that much! However, instead of shrinking, I think they skimped on the cuts.

Anyway, I got the fabric washed, ironed, starched and cut yesterday. The directions say the quilt can be finished in one day (in 6-8 hours). I'll start work on it today, but I doubt I'll get it all finished. I'll bet by this weekend, though, I'll have this top done, too. I'm loading up on tops that need backs finished on them!

I'm going to keep my eyes open for the other quilt kits Joann's has. They're already on sale so I couldn't use my 40% off coupon. I'll wait until they're not on sale so I can use that coupon.

No comments: