Saturday, December 13, 2008

Long-Arm Class!

Yesterday was my long-arm class! How much fun is that?!

First of all, they had me square up the backing by RIPPING it down the edges. They were pleased that I'd made the backing so much bigger (4" wider and 6" longer) than the top so I had plenty of room to rip. It was pretty square si the strips I ripped off were pretty small.

Next, I had to pin the fabric to the canvases. This was the "hardest" part of the whole process.

To start and stop, you have to tack the thread in place and pull up the bobbin thread. Then you roll the canvases to the next section, check that the design won't overlap the previous quilting, smooth out the layers with a yardstick and start all over again.

I initally wanted to do a stipple design, but they had a meandering loopy design already out, and I liked it so I used it instead. My loops are pretty good, though some of them are more square than circular because I wasn't so smooth with my movements.

And, speaking of movements. The stinking machine didn't have a stitch regulator! I can't believe that. If I spent that much on a machine, I'd expect it to have a regulator on it! Anyway, some of my stitches are VERY close together and some of the are VERY far apart when I couldn't keep moving at the same pace.

Also the lady picked out a verigated thread to use, and I really liked what that looked like (besides which, I have a spool of that same thread that I bought at Joann's when it was 50% off, and I can use it for sewing on the binding).

My quilt was 49 x 62, and I finished it in the alotted two hour class time. Hours beyond class time are $15/hour.

No comments: