Sunday, December 28, 2008

Bookmark Tutorial

Ibisisis on Craftster.org asked for a bookmark tutorial. I don't know of any so I thought I'd post my own. These are very easy to make, but they look nice. Here goes:
1. What you need for these bookmarks:
  • 1 piece of cardboard 1.5 x 6"
  • 1 piece of paper 2.0 x 6.5" (the sky's the limit on what kind of paper. Recycled magazines or calendars are cool as is a plain old newspaper; I'm using handmade paper in the example below. You can also use fabric--see the last photo for an example)
  • 1 piece of paper 1.25 x 5.75
  • White glue (I love Aleene's Tacky Glue, but any kind will work)
  • Foam brush
  • A hole punch
  • Pretty ribbons or fibers (not shown)
  • Eyelet (optional)


2. Cover one side of the cardboard with a layer of white glue:
3. Lay the glue side down on the larger piece of paper, trim out the corners like this (I forgot to photograph this step so I used a scrap piece of paper to demonstrate):


4. Cover the opposite side of the cardboard with white glue and fold the edges of the paper up to the top:





5. Next, place the smaller piece of paper on the glue-covered cardboard:

You can see I went a little wild with the white glue, however, Aleene's Tacky Glue dries clear so it won't be noticeable when it dries.


6. Punch a hole at the top. Add an eyelet if you want:



7. Tie fibers and ribbon through the hole, and you're finished!


Below are some bookmarks I made this morning. The orange one is some cool batik fabric.



No comments: