Friday, August 22, 2008

Purse Making Day

We're going to a friend's birthday party tomorrow, and we need a great gift. I don't know her that well, but she mailed me a $25 gift card to Michael's for my birthday (which is the day before hers!). I can't believe she did that for me, but it's the perfect gift!

Anyway, at first, I thought I'd make her the Amy Butler Cabo Halter top, however, after looking at the directions, I decided that was too out of my sewing league. It has an invisible zipper, and that makes me nervous, plus I read some reviews on Pattern Review.com, and what I read indicated that adjustments needed to be made through the bust--definitely beyond my sewing capabilites (and especially for a gift for someone).

So... after talking with my mom, I remembered a book I have upstairs: Hip Handbags by Valerie Van Arsdale Schrader. I dug out the book, and decided SURELY I could make her a handbag...

Off to Joann's I went where I was pleasantly surprised to find the purse accessories were 30% off. I got two sets of bamboo handles and a package of magnetic snaps. Next, I found two really pretty matching Alexander Henry fabrics for $8.99 (which I got for 40% off with my two coupons).

I came home and made several prototypes until I figured out the shape and size I wanted. I really wanted a gusset sewn in it, but I kept sewing in puckers/pleats at the corners and I got frustrated and gave up.

The bottom I ended up making is quite nice. After ironing the seams open (which was another challenge I had to overcome--how do you do that on a 3-dimensional bag???!), you pinch the bottom seam and the side seam together so they're flat then sew across the pinch. I REALLY like what it looks like, but I'm going to keep trying on the gusset.
Finally, I remembered to add pockets to the liner. The Hip Handbags book doesn't tell you to do that!
Here's what the exterior looks like (LOVE IT!):

And the inside (which was hard to take a picture of):

No comments: