Sunday, August 10, 2008

Craftster.org block swap

Last month, I joined a quilt block swap on Craftster.org. This is the third one they've done, but only the first one that I've joined. This is how it works: We're assigned to a group of 12 people (so me plus 11 other people); then we each buy fabric that we want made into a sampler quilt, cut it up into chunks and mail it out to each of the other 11 people. Those 11 people make one block out of each other person's fabric and return the leftover fabric and the finished block back to its rightful owner. At the end of the swap, we each end up with 12 blocks: 11 blocks made by other people plus one block we make for ourselves.

Several people are in multiple groups, but I was too nervous about cutting other people's fabric to be in more than one group for this go 'round.

The fabric send out date was August 1 and the finished blocks must be returned to their owners by October 1. However... most people were so excited that they sent out early. I've already finished 9 of the blocks (and it's only August 10!). One block I'm waiting on extra fabric for and on the last block, the girl was very late in sending so I don't even have it yet.


So far, I've been VERY pleased with how all of my blocks have turned out--except for one, and that's the one that I'm waiting on extra fabric. I don't like the fabric very much, and that totally messed up my vision! I wanted to really *WOW* the recipients, but this one just didn't do much for me at all. Plus I paper-pieced it together, and that takes me for-ever to do so I was disgusted with the amount of time I spent working on it, and then was very disappointed in what it looked like. Anyway, I asked for more fabric so I can fix the corners... it just hasn't arrived yet. I pm'd the owner and asked her if she'd sent it yet, but I haven't heard back from her yet.


No comments: