Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Mylo's Second Worst Seizure Ever

So... Yesterday, as I was sitting typing away, Mylo came into the office and immediately fell onto the floor in a seizure. I got on the floor with him to hold his head and try to keep him from thrashing around too much.

Poor dog. He's had seizures since we first got him (which is why, I'm sure, he was turned in to the rescue program). The vets in Terre Haute didn't think he had them often enough (every 4-6 weeks) to put him on medication. The vets here think he needs to be on medication.

Anyway... he kept slightly recovering and then going into violent seizures again. I lost count, but after an hour, I called the vet and they had me bring him right in. He had three seizures in the car before I could get him there.

They put an IV in his arm and gave him diazapham/valium intravenously to calm his brain down and stop the seizures.

Because phenobarbitol is hard on their livers, the vet suggested we try potassium bromide instead. Which I agreed to, but then found out it's $40 for 30 days and has to be compounded by a special pharmacy! He's definitely worth it, but that's on the heels of having to pay $125 for yesterday's vet visit (because it was an emergency they got to charge me more). Dang!

I picked up the pills this morning. They're capsules I have to shove down his throat which didn't work so well. My other option was liquid which I'm not sure would be any easier to administer. The first 3 days he has to take a "loading" dose (3 pills a day), but then after that we switch him to one pill a day. Maybe it will get easier... I sure hope so. I finally got all three pills down him, and he's completely zonked out on his little couch. I hope he's okay.

The phenobarbitol is #1. cheaper, #2. smaller, #3. easier to get at Wal-Mart pharmacy. The downside is the potential liver damage. I guess we'll just have to weigh our options and figure out what's best for Mylo.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Have you tried putting the pill in something like a ball of processed cheese? I know some dogs inhale and some take time to chew so I don't know how Milo is. If he's not like Bill Clinton the cheese might work!

You really know all about this and don't have any problem sharing your knowledge.
It really is neat. I'm having chicken chow mein and it is ready. I will explore more of your blog later. It really is interesting and neat. A very cool hobby!
Chris