Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The Girl in the Gatehouse by Julie Klassen (a Bethany House Publishing Blogger Review)

**Bethany House Publishers provided me a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for posting a review with my honest (good or bad) opinion of it.**

I have my own classification system for books: 

1.  suitable to pass on to my mother to read
2.  NOT suitable for my mother

This one definitely falls into category #1.  I loved it, and I know mom will, too.

I haven’t read other Julie Klassen books so I can’t compare this book with any of her others. 

The characters make up a many-layered plot with a bit of mystery, a bit of romance, and a peek into the social structure of the early 1800s.  

I don’t need to write another editorial review or spoiler about the book since there’s plenty of that already written. 

But I would like to offer this commentary:

Others have reviewed (both favorably and unfavorably) of the Christian theme running through the book.  I’m not seeing it.  Morals and proper etiquette and social appearances, definitely, but nothing so strongly Christian that I would have realized Ms. Klassen is known as a Christian author.

And, that’s not a complaint.  I enjoyed this book from start to finish. I’m a reader with a personal library filled with an eclectic mix of authors and genres.  I’m a Christian, but I’m not as easily offended as my mother.  A lot of the best sellers I have stacked by my bedside I would NEVER consider passing on for her to read.  They’re well beyond her PG-13 comfort level simply because they are littered with unnecessary vulgar language (not even to mention the way-too-explicitly detailed romance interactions).  (And, no, I don’t go searching for R-rated (or worse) books—I look for 4-star and higher Amazon reviews, and usually the first ones that pop up are from various best seller lists).

Anyway…  I’ve already recommended this book to several friends, and I’m happy to recommend it here to the rest of the world.  Ms. Klassen, you did good!

No comments: